The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater

This book was hard for me to rate because I really liked it but I wasn't sure if this was going to be a DNF for the first 50-60 percent of the book. However when I'd turn it off about an hour later I would want to go back to it, and I was curious about what was going to happen. The writing style especially slow and meandering and nothing seemed to be actually happening.

Then things started happening and everything got much better like the back half was so good! but did it justify how boring the beginning was? eh, the jury is out on that. While there were hints to the plot but most of it just seemed to be excessive, repetitive and extraneous. (though maybe it was the grounds for the rest of the series to be amazing) [I've never read this author but apparently this maybe her writing style]

I REALLY liked the last 40 percent of the book. Things started really happening and it was fabulous. The characters that I'd hated or been bored by early one I suddenly felt really attached to and I really wanted to know what was going on.

Some specific character stuff: I loved Blue and Noah, and appreciated Gansey. Ronan bugged me at first but I grew to like him. I loved Blue's family and thought they were very interesting. I feel like I don't care enough about Adam though given the way that Stiefvater writes about him.

Over all I would recommend the book but I'd give the front half like a 1.5 stars and the back half like 4.5 stars. I also can't wait to read the other books because I'm really curious about what is going to happen and if all this beginning slowness was laying the ground work for something amazing. Which really could be the case. I really want to read the next one now.

Quick observation: Noah tells Declan's girlfriend exactly how long he's been dead but is then surprised when he finds out it's been seven years. That seemed odd.  Also I feel like there was to much hinting about this long standing relationship between the Lynch boys and Gansey for there to be no discussion about the time prior to their fathers death or really anything prior to the story starting.

Ronan's last line was really great all but most of the book he came across as a rather pointless annoyance.The wasp scene really was the start to make me feel differently about him.

Adam has a rough life and I understand his pride but it seemed tedious frequently. And I really don't get what is so great about him that Blue sees.  That's not totally true. I get that he's like her and a bridge into the Raven Boys but he's pretty dull.

I loved Blue and her family relationships. I thought they were great and funny.

Lastly Gansey, honestly he seemed like the most realized character with the best layers and depth.  I really wish Stiefvater would have put that a similar effort into making the other Raven Boys multidimensional.

(show spoiler)