Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison - Piper Kerman, Cassandra Campbell

I liked this book a lot. Piper is totally aware of her privilege though out her telling of this story and it was refreshing to hear her talk about the other prisoners like people and draw parallels to other things. My one issue have is that I wanted more.  The book only details Piper's time in the prison and I wanted to know some more about her time afterwords and her reintegration and more about the people that she met on the inside

As for a comparison to the show, I haven't watched OITNB. I've seen the first 5 minutes of the first episode twice, but I've heard a lot about it.  In fact when I mentioned to some people that I was reading the book I got initiated with a ton of question about did this really happen or that happen. Safe to say the book and the show are vastly different. I'm not sure but I've been given the impression that Piper Chapman can be quite annoying and whiny while IRL Piper Kerman was very aware of how good her situation was in prison and how good she had it.

I'm curious about the show and I listened to an interview with Kerman and she said something along the lines of her being glad that Jenji Kohan did not make her character the main focus but more of a bait and switch on getting the show green lighted, and that need to use a bait and switch speaks to our media issues. Which really speaks to the kind of woman Kerman is.