The Bands of Mourning

The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn) - Brandon Sanderson

I feel like almost everything I said in my Shadows of Self review could be copied and pasted here and it would make almost all be applicable.  I’m still not really enjoying this series.  I still feel like I’m missing sections of the story. I feel like huge plot points are just being dumped on us instead of interestingly worked out over time. I enjoy the characters and their shenanigans but I feel like this series so far is going from hijinks to serious in a rather ridiculous way.  I called the major plot twist in this book really early on so that may have also negatively impacted my enjoyment of this book.   One thing that I really did like is that we say the conversation between Harmony and Wax about the Basin having it too easy from Shadows of Self play out in this book but even though I appreciated that aspect I felt like the way it was done was just clunky and a bit of a mess.

I felt like the other group that we saw was so far advanced that  it was almost kinda a deus ex machina. Like ugh idk I just wish it had felt a bit more grounded, but I guess how did any less develop group feel when experiencing more advanced tech, idk it just didn’t work for me.

(show spoiler)

Again yes I will keep reading this series because I want to know what’s going on and I enjoy the characters but this is not working for me as well as I wish it was. Which pains me because I think this isn’t as good as it could be and is missing some of the gentle touches I expect from Sanderson.